248-dimension maths puzzle solved
An international team of mathematicians has detailed a vast complex numerical "structure" which was invented more than a century ago.
Mapping the 248-dimensional structure, called E8, took four years of work and produced more data than the Human Genome Project, researchers said.
Lie groups aren't a specialty of mine, so I'll hold off writing about this (for now), but you might be interested to read what a few other are saying.
- AIM press release: Mathematicians Map E8
- New York Times: The Scientific Promise of Perfect Symmetry
- Good Math, Bad Math: The Mapping of the E8 Lie Group (Minor Update)
- Not Even Wrong: E8 Media Blitz
- The n-Category Café: News about E8
- The Unapologetic Mathematician: A rough overview
- The Unapologetic Mathematician: Lie groups, Lie algebras, and representations
Tags: E8, Lie groups, string theory
Links to this post: